BEACHSIDE TEEN TREATMENT CENTERPRESCRIPTION DRUG ADDICTION
For most addictions, medical specialists will prescribe prescription drugs such as methadone in order to curb the drug withdrawal symptoms. However, these prescribed drugs are equally addictive and dangerous the drug itself. Experts believe that prescription drug abuse and addiction is second only to marijuana abuse.
Prescription Drug Addiction
This addiction begins with a routine drug prescription, such as strong painkillers prescribed by a medical practitioner for a physical injury. Many begin taking more than the prescribed dose due to the intensity of pain etc, and with continued overdose use and abuse, this can quickly become a drug addiction.
Symptoms of PRESCRIPTION DRUG ADDICTION IN TEENS
- Agitation and restlessness
- Drug craving, irritability, and sweating
- Shortness of breath
- Enlarged pupils with a vacant look
- Loss of appetite
- Body tremors
- Body pain
- Mood swings
- Euphoric condition
- Behavioral issues – such as, lying, stealing to pay for drugs, social isolation, loss of friends
- Physical disorders – such as, nausea, incoherent speech, and heart conditions
The Impact of Prescription Drug Abuse
- Financial disasters
- Suicidal tendencies
- Loss in studies and career progression
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Other drug abuse
Prescription Drugs that may lead to Prescription Drug Addiction include:
- Painkillers, such as, Codeine, OxyContin, Vicodin and Tylenol, prescribed for temporary or chronic pain.
- Depressants, such as Soma, Xanax and valium, prescribed for anxiety and insomnia.
- Stimulants, such as, Ritalin, Dexedrine and Concerta, prescribed for ADHD and Asthma.
Treatment AT BEACHSIDE TEEN TREATMENT CENTER
When a prescription drug addict abruptly stops using the drugs there are some withdrawal symptoms that manifest, which may cause relapse, these include:
- Drug craving
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain, loss of appetite, and feelings of nausea
- Violent behavior
- Cold flashes, and tremors in leg muscles
Precautions that can be taken for Teen Prescription Drug Addiction
- Discuss with growing children about the dangers of these drugs
- Enforce stricter rules about this medicine’s use at home
- Arrange a meeting with a doctor who will instruct as to the proper usage of the drugs
- Dispose of unused medicines after the teen recovers from illness or addiction
- If you are aware of your teen using prescription drugs post recovery, reprimand them, do not ignore this.
Beachside Treatment Center for Teen Prescription Drug Addiction
At Beachside Treatment Center, we are competent to diagnose and treat teen prescription drug addiction. Our residential facility comprises state of the art programming, with expert caring medical professionals and a stellar rehabilitation team, all within a nurturing and natural healing ambiance. We understand the needs of you and your loved one and are dedicated to a wholesome treatment path that addresses all of the psychological, physical and mental health issues of your loved one.
Our dedicated team is ready to answer your questions.
Give us a call, or request a call back: